Monday, August 4, 2008

Controlling passwords is easy now

If you're active on the web as I am, you probably have dozens of passwords to remember for all the controlled sites you visit. I have nearly a hundred so far. If you keep them all in your head, you're clearly smarter than I am, and if you've got them written down on a piece of paper somewhere, you're clearly not.

My solution is RoboForm, a password manager that is itself password controlled, but once activated will with one click fill in the user ID and password that you've selected for whatever site you're trying to access. Thus one humongous (if you want) password to open RoboForm, and ease thereafter no matter how many controlled sites you visit. I think they offer a free version that will enable 10 or so passwords to be saved before you have to register and pay a modest one-time license fee. Great utility program.

No comments: